Located in Nazareth, Pennsylvania, C.F. Martin Guitar Company has produced acoustic instruments since the 1830’s. The history of C.F. Martin starts in Markneukirchen, Germany, where Christian Frederick Martin, Sr., followed in his families footsteps as a cabinet maker. At the age of 15, C.F. Martin moved to Vienna to work as an apprentice for renowned guitar maker Johann Stauffer.
In September of 1833 Martin, Sr., left Germany and headed to New York City. He opened up a shop on the Lower West Side that sold anything and everything from cornets to sheet music. At the request of his wife, Ottilie Lucia Kühler, C.F. Martin sold his shop in New York and bought an 8-acre tract near Nazareth, Pennsylvania. Sales continued well into the 20th century, even during the great depression, where the Martin Guitar Company had held 3 day work weeks.
Through the years such innovations as the 14-fret neck, the hand-scalloped “X” bracing system, and the Dreadnought guitar helped establish Martin’s guitars as one of the finest instruments in the world. Martin guitars were in such high demand at one point in the mid 60’s the company's stock was on back order for as long as three years.